We keep things fair by billing based on plan usage:
- You'll be charged based on the number of members in your organization on the day that you upgrade to a paid plan, and on each day that the plan renews, either monthly or yearly.
- You can make changes to the number of members in the organization at any time, and those changes will be reflected in your next bill on a prorated basis, whether you pay monthly or yearly.
- The one exception to the above is if you have chosen an annual plan and your changes result in a balance of over $240 on the Plus plan or over $450 on the Pro plan. (For customers on our legacy plans, this would apply for a balance of over $300 on the Team plan or over $1000 on the Business plan.) If your balance exceeds the relevant amount, we will process a payment for the changes immediately.
We also encourage you to familiarise yourself with our terms of service. In particular, you may like to review the section about payment.
Let's say that you decide to upgrade to our Pro plan on April 7th, with 6 users in your organization, paying monthly. This means you will pay the per user per month price of $15 x 6 users, plus the platform fee of $99 per month. That's a total of $189 per month.
Then, 10 days later on April 17th, let's say that you add two more members to the organization, bringing the total up to 8 users. A prorated charge for the remainder of the billing period (through until 7th May) will be calculated, and $20 will be added to your May bill as a result.
And then, another 10 days later on April 27th, let's say that you remove one member from the organization, bringing the total down to 7 users. A prorated credit for the remainder of the billing period (through until 7th May) will be calculated, and $5 will be credited to your May bill as a result.
So after both of these changes, when the bill comes in May, you should expect to see it made up of three parts:
- 1.$204 for the current 7 users in the organization for the next billing month, through until June 7th.
- 2.A $20 adjustment for the addition of the 7th and 8th organization members in the previous billing month.
- 3.A -$5 adjustment for the removal of the 8th organization member in the previous billing month.
This would result in $219 being the total to pay on May 7th.
The prorated subscription cost is calculated by dividing the cost per member ($15 in this case) by the number of days in the month (30) and multiplying it by the number of days remaining.
All billing is handled through Stripe. GitBook doesn't store any sensitive payment information, and you can manage all your billing information through the billing dashboard.
There are three occasions on which we'll charge your payment method on file:
- 1.On the day that you first upgrade to a paid plan.
- 2.On the monthly or yearly renewal date of your billing period. (Extra charges apply if you add more members and credit will be applied if you remove members, as explained in the section above.)
- 3.On any day when your plan's balance exceeds $240 on the Plus plan or $450 on the Pro plan.
Your invoice history is available in Stripe, which you can access via the organization's settings page, by clicking on the billing tab. A summary is shown on the page, and invoices can be downloaded from here by clicking on the date of the invoice.